Monday 11 March 2013

LETTER TO MY YOUNGER SELF by PHYLICIA RASHAD

Came across this letter with such beautifully written words by Phylicia Rashad who most of us know from the Cosby show, I couldn't help but sit down and reflect on them.
"Dear Phylicia,
Romantic involvement distracts you and can blind you to what's really
in front of you. And what really is in front of you? You are. You don't
even know yourself yet. You think you know and you want to assert
that you do, now that you're a certain age, but you don't. What's
in front of you is a whole world of experiences beyond your imagination. Put yourself, and your growth and development, first.
There are long-term repercussions to what you're doing now. Everything you do, every thought you have, every word you say
creates a memory that you will hold in your body. It's imprinted on you and affects you in subtle ways—ways you are not always aware of. With that in mind, be very conscious and selective.
With high hopes for you,
Phylicia"
The words hit hard, hit home actually. Many times I have been dubbed selfish especially with my heart. I am painfully selective of who I give it to. I always had this inner awareness from a long time ago that my heart is responsible for my well being and if I go around giving it to everyone I may end up broken and bitter. I have grown up trusting this belief, though I also think Phylicia didn't quite only mean giving only of our hearts but our mind, body and time as well.
There is so much I could say about all those but I am on that journey as well, the learning process. I realise I wasted so much time trying to love and get that love in return. Only now that my life is on the right track in terms of my career and building myself do I see the importance of putting yourself on a pedestal and having that child-like'mine mine mine' protection of your heart, mind, body and future.
My mum always says focus on what's infront of you now and the rest will follow.

1 comment:

  1. Someone said "Focus on your career,and the things that make you happy, focus on a man when he focuses on us" we don't find love, love finds us. I love this article. And great inspiration from Phylicia

    ReplyDelete